Automated Testing Interview Questions - HP/Mercury QuickTest Professional
General knowledge or software automation is your best guide when you answer these QTP questions:
Ask yourself the following questions that covers the basics of the QTP functionality:
- How to create basic scripts from a manual test case in QTP?
- How to add verification steps to tests?
- How to use custom checkpoints in QuickTest Professional?
- How to use database checkpoints?
- How to manage objects in the Object Repository in QuickTest Professional?
- How to parameterize tests?
- How to customize checkpoints with parameters?
- How to run an integrated test scenario using Multiple Actions?
- How to use the QTP Step Generator?
- How to use debug tools?
- How to create virtual objects?
- What is the difference between QTP Analog and Low-Level recording modes?
- Please describe Object and Smart Identification?
- What is the difference between Per-Action vs. Shared Object Repositories?
Do you know the answer to the following more advance questions?
- What are the main benefits of QuickTest Professional?
- What is Add-In Manager in QTP?
- What QTP Options do you know?
- How to Identify Objects and their Properties?
- What is the Object Repository?
- How to Add Synchronization Steps?
- How to Set the Global Sync Timeouts in QTP?
- What is Regular Expressions and how to use them?
- How to Create Data-Driven tests?
- What are Checkpoints with Parameters?
- What is the difference between Global and Local Data Sheets?
- How to create Reusable and Multiple Actions?
- Describe the benefits of the Step Generator.
- What are the main options that are available in the Step Generator dialog box?
- What is Exception Handling?
- What is Recovery Scenario Wizard in QTP?
- Describe the purpose of a Database Checkpoint
- What is the difference between Analog Recording and Low-Level Recording in automation tools?
- Describe Per-Action vs. Shared Object Repositories
- Describe how and when Smart Identification is used
- Please identify when the Expert View is useful.
- How can we translate the steps between the Keyword and Expert Views?
- How software automation specialist enter steps in the Expert View?
- How can you retrieve an object's properties?
- How software tester can use constants and variables in scripts?
- How can you write the scripts that operate on different objects depending on run-time information?
- How QA specialist can identify when programmatic descriptions are useful?
- What VBScript operators, functions, and statements do you use in QuickTest Professional?
- How to retrieve data from application objects?
- Please list some VBScript looping statements and explain when each is useful.
- How to use the DataTable object to store run-time data and drive actions?
- How to build scripts that access data from external sources?
- How can you create new subroutines and functions?
- How we can build a new and associate library of functions?
- Please identify when to handle run errors programmatically.
- What are the main ways of managing QTP run errors?
- Did you use abort loops, procedures, iterations, actions, and runs?
Detailed QTP questions with answers. Some of them were used for Mercury QTP certification.
- What is the purpose of loading an add-in?
answer: To enable QTP to recognize objects of your applications.
- What does the Missing Resources pane show?
answer: Missing of any external function or repository
- During designing a test, what do you need to take into account to ensure that the
test can be reiterated?
answer: Set initial and end conditions as part of the test,
- How do you determine whether a test failed or passed?
answer: Go to the result screen and check
- What does the export Test to Zip feature do?
- What is the object class?
- What is the step to change the logical name of the object recorded by QTP?
answer: Open the Object Repository.
- What is Object Spy used for?
answer: View the runtime object methods and properties.
- When QuickTest Pro enable you to specify a synchronization points?
answer: While recording a test and after recording a test
- What is the function of a synchronization point?
answer: To provide more time for an object to process before moving to the next step in
- What can you use a synchronization point for?
answer: To provide more time for an object to process in the real environment.
- When QTP enable you to specify a synchronization points?
answer: While recording and after recording a test
- Why do you use regular expressions in your test?
answer: To define a checkpoint that can accept a range of values.
- How do you determine if a checkpoint is use in a test?
answer: 1. A checkmark appears next to the step in the results.
2. The OPERATION column of KEYWORD VIEW lists the operation as CHECK
3. A check mark appears at each level of the Test Summary tree.
- What is standard checkpoint?
answer: A mechanism to check the property of an object.
- How many ways we have to set checkpoints?
1. In the recording mode
2. In the insert mode in keyword view screen (right mouse click)
3. In an active screen mode
- What is the purpose of the input parameters?
answer: Drives a variety of data values through a test.
- How can you make a checkpoint flexible?
answer: Create and insert a regular expression or input data to the parametr using the
design-time Data Table
- Which action can you use only within the test which it was created?
answer: Regular action; Regular (non – reusable) action; External action.
- Where do you set action iterations for the specified action?
answer: Action Call Properties
- What is created by default with a new action?
answer: Local object repository, Local data sheet and Folder (tree structure)
- What is Step generator used for?
answer: Function and object listing
- Which field in the Step Generator dialog box is optional, depending on the object and operation?
answer: Document step
- How can you insert the ReportEvent feature?
answer: Using New step or Step generator.
- In which dialog box do you check Web to load add-ins for a Web application?
answer: In Add-in manager.
- Why do you create a text checkpoint on a Web application?
- When do we use custom checkpoints?
answer: Standard checkpoints does not works
- When do we use breakpoints?
answer: stop execution to verify values of variables.
- Why do we require a database checkpoint in test?
answer: To test database as the backend
- Which query tool is used to create a query in Database Query Wizard?
answer: MS query
- What does the source property of a database test object specify?
answer: Connection string; username; password;
- Name the object repository type in which QuickTest pro saves the information about
objects during a record session, by default?
answer: per action (local)
- Where are shared objects stored in QuckTest Professional?
answer: in .TSR files
- Which object repository type can you create using Object Repository Manager?
- When do we use a low level recording to record a test?
answer: If QTP does not any objects at all
- When do we use analog recording to record a test?
answer: To record mouse movement for example online signature.
- How does a bitmap checkpoint work?
- What is a virtual object?
answer: A generic object mapped to the standard object.
- What are the components of a recovery scenario?
answer: Trigger, Recovery, Post-recovery
- When do you select the Object State trigger event type?
answer: On the “Select Trigger Event” screen
- Can you select multiple recovery operations for the trigger event?
- When does an optional step execute in a test?
answer: When this object exists. ( this is build for negative testing)
Advance questions that can be used for Mercury QTP certification preparation
For reference download free VBScript Tutorial and QTP code samples as .zip file
- What are 3 categories of steps in Step Generator?
answer: Function; Test object; Utility object
- What is the function of the auto expend VBScript syntax feature in Expert view?
answer: to help with programming
- What is the function of the VBScript With statement?
answer: Edit -> advance -> Apply with
- What is the function of breakpoints?
answer: Allows debug the code.
- What are the advantages of retrieving the values of the properties of an object?
answer: Create checkpoints; create your own logic; populate a datasheet faster.
- Which command will you use in QuickTest Pro to retrieve the value of the enabled
property of a button in an application?
answer: RO property (runtime)
- What is the difference between constants and variables?
answer: constant can’t be changed and variable can be changed.
- What are dynamic objects?
answer: Dynamic objects are changed during time of test execution.
- What is the function of a Description object?
answer: To hold a property value.
- What are the steps involved in building a programmatic description of dynamic objects?
answer: 1. Identify the object class. 2. Select object properties. 3. Create a
- What are the additional uses of programmatic descriptions?
answer: bypass the object repository.
- What is the function of the Is operator?
answer: Compare two objects.
- What is the function of the Set operator?
answer: Set a variable to an object.
- What does the split function do?
answer: Returns a zero-based, one-dimensional array containing a specified number of
- What are the VBScript functions that invoke dialog boxes to interact with users?
answer: 1 . InputBox function: Displays a prompt in a dialog box, waits for the user
to input text or click a button, and returns the contents of the text box. 2. MsgBox
Function: Displays a message in a dialog box, waits for the user to click a button, and
returns a value indicating which button the user clicked.
- Which method do you use to retrieve data from the WebList object?
- What is difference between the For..Next and While..Wend statements?
- What is the function of GetSheet method in Data Table?
answer: Only sets focus on the current sheet.
- Which property do you use to retrieve or assign data into a cell in a Data Table object?
- Give a scenario in which you may require to access data from external sources.
- What are the methods used to import data from and export data into a MS Excel worksheet?
answer: import sheet and export sheet
- What is the purpose of the Close method?
- What are the methods of the TextStream object that are used for reading from a text
- What are the advantages of creating a procedure in a test?
answer: to increase usability
- What is the difference between a subroutine and function procedure?
answer: Function is always return a value
- What is the advantage of associating a procedure with a test object?
- How do you create a library file?
Free tools for QTP
Free Regular Expression Designer
QTP Clean uninstaller tool
What data types VBScript use?
Answer: The Variant: VBScript's Only Data Type
How you will define scripting language?
Answer: The scripting runtime engine compiles the code on the fly. (interpreters)
What are the main rules for naming VBScript variables?
Rule Number 1: VBScript variable names must begin with an alpha character.
Rule Number 2: Numbers and the underscore ( _ ) character can be used in the variable name, but all other non - alphanumeric characters are illegal.
Rule Number 3: VBScript variable names cannot exceed 255 characters.
Please write general function?
[Public|Private] Function Name ([Argument1],[ArgumentN])
[ code inside the function ]
Write three legal ways to call a function.
1. lngSum = AddNumbers (10, 20)
2. Call AddNumbers (10, 20)
3. AddNumbers 10, 20
Write general procedure
[Public|Private] Sub Name ([Argument1],[ArgumentN])
[ code inside the procedure ]
Write two legal ways to call a procedure.
What are the looping constructs in VBScript?
Answer: looping constructs in VBScript are as follows:
For Each ...Next
Do ...Loop While
Do While ...Loop
Do ...Loop Until
Do Until ...Loop
How to prevent Runtime error from a database Null value?
x = GetValueFromDatabase()
MsgBox "" & x
Describe Err Object
There is exactly one Err object in memory at all times while a VBScript program is running.
Find more on Automated testing with Mercury's QuickTest Professional.
Also you can find VBScript Tutorial VBScript Tutorial
On this page I put some Interview Questions for QA and testers. These quick test professional Interview Questions are very simple and mainly were used for interviewing software testers who is involved in any type of testing.
The interview questions found above are listed in order of complexity. However all new QTP interview questions (regardless of there difficulty) will be added to the bottom of the list. You can find more Quick Test Pro related Interview Questions searching the WEB.
END QuickTest Professional Interview Questions.
Interview Questions QA Main Page
© 2007 Alex Samurin geocities.com/xtremetesting/ © eXtremeSoftwareTesting.com